Job Opportunity at NMB Bank, Head; Compliance
Reporting Line: Chief, Risk and Compliance
- Asses the adequacy of efforts made by Management and operational staff in complying with regulatory requirements and support management in building a robust compliance culture based on ethical standards of behavior and thus contributing to effective corporate governance.
- Introduce, review, seek approval and implement all compliance related policies.
- For internal policies belonging to other units; review, provide recommendations, inventories and assess compliance to regulatory requirements on the internal policies, procedures and guidelines, ensure a follow-up of any identified deficiencies, make recommendations for amendment, where necessary and supervise the implementation of corrective measures to mitigate the identified deficiencies.
- Identify and keep an inventory available to all staff of essential laws and regulations pertinent to the organization.
- Advise the applicable laws, regulations, rules and standards and inform about any developments in these areas and any policy that needs to be in place.
- Identify and assess the compliance risks associated with the organization’s current and proposed future business activities, including new products, new business relationships and any extension of operations or network.
- Responsible as the Bank’s Money Laundering Reporting Officer (MLRO) hence ensure appropriate internal controls and procedures for money laundering prevention are in place and functioning as intended.
- Monitor compliance with internal policies, procedures and guidelines by performing regular and comprehensive compliance risk assessments and testing; report the results on a regular basis and promptly where deemed necessary to executive management and, if necessary, the Board of Directors.
- Liaise with relevant external bodies and regulators on compliance matters; exercise any specific responsibilities such as reporting suspicious transactions in order to counter money laundering and the fight against terrorism financing.
- Assess the appropriateness of internal policies, procedures and guidelines, including writing new policies, review existing policies, follow-up of any identified deficiencies, make recommendations for amendments, where necessary, and supervise the implementation of corrective measures to mitigate the identified deficiencies.
- Identify and keep an inventory available to all staff of essential laws and regulations pertinent to the organization in order to centralize all information of compliance-related issues (e. g: breach of regulations, procedures, conflict of interest) in order to identify compliance issues.
- Advise management on the applicable laws, regulation, rules and standards and inform them about any developments in these areas and educate staff with respect to compliance with the applicable laws, rules and standards
- Act as an advisor on compliance queries from staff members.
- Business understanding of regulatory requirements and Banking laws
- In-depth understanding of Compliance Risk, bank’s products, all bank’s policies, operational procedures and operating systems
- Knowledge of the controls and procedures on Branch operations.
- Policy-writing, Core Banking System, effective risk management, Standard Computer literacy
- Behavioural: Communication, Influencing, Relationship management, Attention to Detail, Time management, Planning and Organizing, Coaching, managing the performance of others, ability to promote strong risk management culture
Qualifications and Experience
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in Law / Economics / Banking/ Finance or equivalent qualifications
- A minimum of 10 years work experience preferably in Compliance/Risk management or Audit; internal audit or legal of which 5 years should be at a managerial level
- Experience in building and developing high performance teams.
- NMB Bank Plc is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
Please be advised that if you are not contacted within 14 working days of the advert closing date then you have not been shortlisted.
“NMB Bank Plc does not charge any fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it”.