Job Opportunity at SNV – Behaviour Change Communications (BCC) Advisor
SNV is a not-for-profit international development organisation. Founded in the Netherlands 50 years ago, we have built a long-term, local presence in 39 of the poorest countries in Asia, Africa and Latin America. Our global team of local and international advisors works with local partners to equip communities, businesses and organisations with the tools, knowledge and connections they need to increase their incomes and gain access to basic services – empowering them to break the cycle of poverty and guide their own development.
The overall goal of SNV’s engagement in the Renewable Energy (RE) sector in Tanzania is to contribute to improve the livelihoods of the rural and peri-urban people by accelerating the dissemination and use of renewable energy products and services. SNV Tanzania is involved in three renewable energy sub-sectors: Domestic Biogas, Biomass Cooking Energy, and Solar with a variety of projects and cross-cutting initiatives.
SNV is the implementing agency for the Energising Development (EnDev) program in Tanzania. EnDev Tanzania focuses on two key project components: the development of markets and sustainable supply for improved cookstoves (ICS) as well as for small plug-and-play solar (picoPV) technology in rural and peri-urban areas in the Lake Zone, Northern Zone and throughout the Central and Southern Zones of Tanzania.
SNV began implementation of the EnDev program in April of 2013 with the Tanzania Improved Cook Stoves (TICS) project. TICS works to build upon existing local ICS supply chains to initiate the production, distribution and sales of clean and marketable ICS options that meet the need of rural households. The project works closely with existing stove entrepreneurs to realise improved performance, quality and marketability of cook stove options. Through regular and verifiable sales monitoring undertaken by the program, emerging ‘cook stove champions’ are identified and availed access to advanced and individualized products and services in business development, marketing and production scaling.
In the third stage of the project (Quarter 4 of 2019-2022) the project aims at expanding its geographical area in six new regions, use a Behavior Change Communication (BCC) approach to trigger demand for the JIKO MATAWI, use small grant incentives for the Champions of Champions to increase their production and sales capacity and hence transform their businesses from family into small/medium/semi industrial levels, and also continue working with its core producers in 14 regions of Tanzania.
Overview of the Position:
SNV is seeking to recruit Behaviour Change and Communication (BCC) Advisor who will be responsible for guiding and supporting smooth delivery of behaviour change focused on project planning,organising and implementing project activities,stackholder’s engagement ,M&E and reporting and extend BCC assistance throughout the EnDev country programme as a whole. The BCC Advisor will form part of the EnDev project team which is currently based in Mwanza, Dar es Salaam and Arusha, with increasing activities in the Central and Southern Zones of Tanzania. The BCC Advisor will report to BCC Coordinator in all BCC related activities.
Responsibilities of the position:
- Execute BCC interventions – Ensure high quality BCC planning and delivery against intended objectives and targets.Facilitate the design and development of supply hubs and nodes. Generate increased Demand around the Supply Hubs using targeted messaging and communication tools, and a community-driven campaign led by Improved Cooking Advocates (ICAs) to enable adoption of ICS through promotion of behaviours around cooking, health, nutrition and environment. As the main BCC fields implementer; the BCC Advisor will oversee all aspects of BCC elements and deliverables in line with objectives, budgets, timelines and standards of the project. The BCC activities will be undertaken in one ward of each of the 5 Districts. These districts are Morogoro DC, Mvomero, Kilombero (Ifakara),Mufindi and Misungwi.
- Advisory Servises : In coordination with other SNV advisors,volunteers and local service providers (LSPs), provide advisory services to equip small and medium enterprises skills on sells technics including ICS production, branding, business skills development, marketing and product diversification. This will be inclusive of Product Quality Control, establishments of enterprise associations as well as Enterprise Coaching.
- Monitoring, Evaluation, Reporting and Verification – Collaborate with MERV advisor to support timely M&E work plans delivery for regular sales data collection, producer assessment, customer verification, risk monitoring and reporting. Participate in Monitoring and Evaluation of project activities, while actively being engaged in the day-to-day implementation of programme objectives. This include but not limited to sales point monitoring and verification ultimately availing the dissemination of tailored ICS producer support packages.
- Network and Relationship Building – Build and maintain effective relationships with a). New and core producers/ stove enterprises in the project implementation areas, b). Government and local authorities c) Development partiners including local and international NGOs d)Community development and saving groups e) Community Based Organisations (CBOs)
- Gender Focus (Mainstreaming): In collaboration with SNV Gender expert to plan and execute gender mainstreaming activities in all of the project interventions using approved PALS and Balancing Benefit approaches to project partners.
- Knowledge, Documentation and communication – Ensure full synthesis, analysis and documentation and sharing of project insights and results, and engage in research and studies that contribute to gathering evidence-based knowledge.
- Other – Engage in any other activities discussed with the programme manager that contribute to SNV, the Energy sector and the projects success.
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field (Renewable Energy, Business Administration, Economics of Sustainable Development, Agro-economy,social behaviours,gender, Rural development, etc.)
- Tags advisory services behavior change behaviour change business development entrepreneurship monitoring and evaluation pro poor product quality project implementation renewable energy rural development skills development social inclusion solar supply chain sustainable development value chain
- Five year experience in managing a BCC intervention in an international or national NGO including minimum 3 years ‘hands on’ direct implementation at grassroots level.
- Sound experience of working with partner organizations (NGOs or local government).
- Technical knowledge of Improved Cooking Solutions
- Proven track record in Renewable Energy project implementation; team work and leadership; programme design, development and resource mobilisation.
- Work experience in private sector business and entrepreneurship and value chain development with a proven track record in pro-poor growth approaches taking into consideration social inclusion, gender and sustainability.
Desired Skills and attitude:
- A proactive and entrepreneurial individual who will explore and develop innovative approaches to achieve impact and results;
- Analytical skills combined with a practical and pragmatic approach oriented towards lasting results;
- Strong interpersonal and influence skills and experience of working in a matrix organization;
- Good team player, pragmatic, negotiator with solution orientated approach
- Readiness to live, work and travel in rural districts with minimal amenities;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, in English and Kiswahili, including reporting and presentation skills.
Contract Type: National
Contract Duration: 15-months initial term, with possibility of extension
Expected Start Date: 2nd January, 2020
Information Duty Station: Dar es Salaam (with frequent field travels to Morogoro, Mwanza and Iringa)
Working at SNV:
SNV offers a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package. We offer a challenging work environment, opportunities to lead and innovate, and a commitment to growing your skills in a fulfilling and diverse working environment. Our staff benefit from, and contribute to, an internal global network of Energy experts. For more information, please visit our website: www.snv.org.
How to Apply:
The vacacy is for internal Candidates only and it will active up to 30th November, 2019 and all application should be throght Smart Recruiters on the following link https://careers.smartrecruiters.com/SNV
Only the internal candidate will be considered .Tanzania Nationals Only
Click the button below to visit the original announcement on the recruiting organization’s website.
Closing date: Saturday, 30 November 2019